Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election 2008

I am a little disappointed in the way that my county handled the election process. First we were separated by precinct into two lines. Ashley River (who's line by the way was EMPTY when I arrived) and Coosaw (a line of about 1000 people). I stood in line for 4 HOURS. The first hour of that was spent outside where it was chilly and rainy. We then get inside and wind around inside the building in line and a man randomly walked around calling people who's last names began with N-Z to the front of the line. Great for them, HORRIBLE for those of us who's names fall ahead of that and had been in line probably hours before them. Then when you finally get to the room where the booths were, the two lines of Ashley River and Coosaw combined, so it didn't actually matter at all which line you were in to begin with. So I stood in that forever long line for absolutely no reason because I could've gotten in the super short Ashley River line and been done way sooner. Did I mention that I had my kids with me during this whole ordeal??! They were troopers. Very very well behaved under the circumstances (Hayley had 3 shots that morning, and Cait had been at a sleepover--both were tired and a bit cranky). We arrived at the school, my assigned voting location, at 3:30 pm. Didn't get back home until 7:45 pm. I was not a happy camper.
Now I'm not usually one to complain much about such things, but that was ridiculous. So thank you for allowing me to vent my frustration.
Onto the actual election...I do not wish to offend anyone with comments made here. I think the day after the election is always the worst because no matter who wins, people are disappointed. My vote went to Obama, though my state went to McCain. While I do not agree 100% with Obama's ideals and beliefs, I agree with him on much more than I do with McCain. I am happy with the outcome, I am ready for our country to see some changes for the better to improve our present and solidify our future. And a new day has come. We will move forward. I hope that those who gave their support to McCain can do as he did and concede with dignity and grace. We are all Americans and divided we will fall no matter who is leading us.

"In this election- in this moment-
let us reach for what we know is possible.
A nation healed.
A world repaired.
An America that believes again."
--Barack Obama
I for one am thankful that we live in a country that allows us the freedoms and blessings that surround us every day. That we have the right to choose our leaders and have our voices be heard. God Bless America!!!! I believe.

0 comments: